The Royal Society is the national Academy of science in the UK and our aim is to recognise, promote, and support excellence in science, and to encourage the development and use of science for the benefit of humanity. The Society has played a part in some of the most fundamental, significant, and life-changing discoveries in scientific history and Royal Society scientists continue to make outstanding contributions to science in many research areas.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join the Royal Society. As a key member of the design team, you will be helping to tackle design challenges in a fast paced environment, producing materials such as advertisements, events flyers, policy reports, marketing materials and campaign collateral all within the brand guidelines for both print and digital use.
You should have a high quality, impressive portfolio demonstrating your creative flare and attention to detail. Being well organised, you will be able to meet tight deadlines and should have prior experience of taking projects from brief to delivery.
You will have extensive experience working as a graphic designer and have excellent knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator (essential for this role).
To apply, please submit a covering letter, CV and link to your portfolio.
The covering letter and CV should clearly outline the following:
• Relevant HE qualification (or equivalent experience) in graphic design.
• Experience working within a design agency or as an in-house designer.
• Excellent knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator (CS5 and above).
• A high quality portfolio of work that shows experience in designing across multiple types of output.
• Experience of producing infographics.
• Able to take a complex brief and give clear guidance and execute successful designs.
• Highly organised, self-disciplined individual with the ability to work independently when necessary.
• Able to prioritise design jobs and allocate appropriate amount of time to meet deadlines.
• Able to manage several design projects simultaneously, throughout the project’s lifecycle (from approval and planning, initial concept development and design, to layout and production).
• Able to handle pressure and meet tight deadlines.
• An excellent eye for detail.
• A team player with good interpersonal communication skills (both oral and written).
• Able to maintain a flexible approach at all times.
• Good knowledge of colour correction and image manipulation techniques.
• Excellent Knowledge of the printing process and outputting files for print.
• Able to maintain standards of accuracy in colour for print and electronic output.
• Able to advise on use of photo libraries and copyright licenses.
• Good knowledge of Mac OSX operating system and Apple hardware.
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel applications.
• Experience in design for web and email marketing is desirable.
• Experience of briefing freelance designers.
• An interest in science is desirable.
· Works unsupervised and can motivate self
· Produces results under pressure
· Can manage in stressful situations
· Pushes for the best results
Working with others
· Contributes ideas and identifies opportunities to work with others both within the team and across the organisation
· Willing to provide feedback to sectional colleagues when requested
· Produces succinct presentations and papers for senior colleagues
· Understands when to seek senior advice on potentially delicate negotiations
· Makes the best of internal/external resources and coordinates well with external partners to best meet the needs of the Society
· Builds contingency into projects taking into account possible outside factors
· Sets and monitors performance against quality and results orientated targets.
· Focuses on both short and long-term goals
· Determines and clarifies the exact requirements of any situation
· Checks information for accuracy and raises concerns if information is inaccurate
· Extracts the key points succinctly, clearly and accurately
· Puts forward suggestions for improvement concerning current processes or systems
· Tries different ways of doing things to get the best results
· Overcomes obstacles and is not deterred by setbacks; checks assumptions and first principles and works out alternative approaches
· Reacts proactively to new challenges and works in a flexible manner to produce solutions
· Provides feedback and participates in discussions surrounding new ideas approaches or projects
Managing people and relationships
· Delegates effectively, setting clear expectations and authority
· Monitors results and feedbacks to team on a regular basis
· Recognises others’ contributions and acknowledges their limits
· Helps others to identify ways to improve their performance
· Prioritises supervisory responsibilities and carries them out in a timely fashion
· Understands and can identify client/stakeholder/staff needs and looks for opportunities to improve their experiences